Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has expressed confidence that at least 10 major road and infrastructure projects across Abuja will be completed and ready for commissioning before the 2027 general elections.

Wike gave the assurance on Wednesday while inspecting the ongoing Tungan Madaki-Zuba Road and Nile University-RR3 Road projects, saying the contractors handling the projects had demonstrated the capacity, equipment and commitment needed to meet their delivery timelines.
The inspection, according to the minister, was part of efforts by the FCT Administration to assess the progress of projects inaugurated during its third anniversary and determine whether contractors were on course to fulfil their commitments.
At the Tungan Madaki-Zuba Road project, Wike disclosed that five of the six box culverts had been completed. He described the pace of work as commendable and said the contractor, China Geo-Engineering Corporation (CGC), had assured the administration that the project would be completed and handed over by December.
Wike said the contractor had the technical capacity and equipment required to deliver the project, adding that CGC was an experienced company whose performance had been tested on previous projects.
The minister also revealed that the projects were capital-intensive and that some contractors had not received up to 30 per cent of their mobilisation payments. Despite this, he said, the contractors had continued with construction works.
He assured the contractors that the FCT Administration would honour its financial commitments to prevent funding challenges from delaying the projects.
Wike said the administration planned to have at least 10 major projects completed and lined up for commissioning before the 2027 elections.
He added that officials would inspect two additional projects on Thursday as part of efforts to ensure that the target was achieved before the end of the year.
Beyond road construction, Wike said the FCT Administration had intensified measures to tackle flooding by removing structures obstructing waterways across the capital.
He said the demolition exercise, which began in Maitama on Tuesday, would be extended to other parts of Abuja where buildings and other structures had blocked drainage channels and waterways.
The minister insisted that the enforcement would continue until waterways were cleared to allow stormwater to flow freely and reduce flooding risks in affected communities.
Wike also disclosed that the Director of Development Control was being queried over approvals allegedly granted to car dealers to operate on designated green areas.
He ordered the immediate removal of car dealerships operating on such spaces, stressing that Abuja’s green areas must be preserved for recreational and environmental purposes.
According to him, a task force had been established to ensure that car dealers operating on green areas vacated the spaces.
Wike maintained that the decision was final and would apply regardless of the individuals or businesses affected.
Reacting to criticism of the demolition exercise on social media, the minister questioned the legality of constructing buildings and other structures on waterways in the first place.
He maintained that the FCT Administration was enforcing planning and environmental regulations within its mandate to protect public infrastructure, preserve waterways and safeguard communities from flooding.
Wike vowed that the enforcement campaign would continue until structures obstructing drainage channels, waterways and other public infrastructure were removed.