A prosecution witness in the trial of former Kaduna State governor, Nasir el-Rufai, told a federal high court in Abuja that the National Security Adviser (NSA) confirmed the authenticity of a conversation allegedly referenced by el-Rufai during a television interview.
Testifying before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik on Tuesday, the witness said investigators interviewed the NSA after el-Rufai allegedly disclosed during the broadcast that a private conversation involving the NSA had been intercepted and forwarded to him.
According to the witness, the NSA verbally confirmed that the discussion took place between him and the chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC). The ICPC chairman also reportedly acknowledged the conversation after excerpts of the interview were played to him.
The court also heard that investigators questioned television anchor Charles Aniagolu, activist-lawyer Deji Adeyanju, and cameraman Ugochukwu Agalayana over the interview.
The prosecution tendered statements from Aniagolu and Adeyanju as evidence, while Agalayana confirmed he only handled the recording equipment and did not follow the discussion.
Under cross-examination, the witness admitted investigators did not carry out forensic analysis, obtain IP addresses, or examine the NSA’s devices in relation to the alleged interception. However, he maintained such steps became unnecessary after the NSA confirmed the conversation referenced by el-Rufai.
The witness also acknowledged that el-Rufai never directly claimed he personally intercepted the conversation, though investigators viewed his remarks as an “open confession” linked to the alleged wiretapping.
The case was adjourned until June 22 and 23 for further hearing.