The Department of State Services (DSS), Sokoto State Command, has warned of plans by terrorists and bandits to attack tertiary institutions across the state.
The security agency said the planned attacks could result in the abduction of students, lecturers, other staff and their family members.
The warning was contained in a security alert dated August 18 and addressed to the Sokoto State Government. A DSS source confirmed the authenticity of the alert.
According to the agency, intelligence indicates that criminal groups have shifted their focus from primary and secondary schools to universities and other tertiary institutions.
The DSS described the development as a serious threat to the education sector, noting that tertiary institutions accommodate large numbers of students, academic and non-academic staff and their relatives.
It said any successful attack could disrupt academic activities, create widespread fear and undermine public confidence in the government’s ability to protect citizens and public institutions.
The agency urged the Sokoto State Government to immediately strengthen security around tertiary institutions and adopt proactive measures to prevent the attacks.
It added that relevant security and emergency response agencies had been alerted and called for coordinated action to protect students, staff and critical educational infrastructure.