Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar has criticised the federal government’s handling of the renewed anti-immigrant tensions in South Africa, accusing the administration of reacting slowly to attacks against Nigerians.
In a statement issued on Sunday by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, Atiku said it was embarrassing that Nigeria appeared to have been “shamed into action” while smaller African countries acted swiftly to protect their citizens.
At least two Nigerians have reportedly been killed since anti-foreigner tensions resurfaced in South Africa last month.
Atiku praised the government of Ghana for quickly approving the evacuation of over 300 distressed citizens following the latest xenophobic threats, contrasting it with what he described as Nigeria’s hesitant and reactive approach.
“It is deeply troubling that Nigeria, a country that prides itself as the leader of the Black world and the giant of Africa, once again found itself reacting instead of leading in a moment of continental crisis,” the statement read.
“When the first signs of danger emerged, smaller African nations acted with clarity, compassion, and urgency. Ghana moved decisively. Others issued strong advisories and activated protective mechanisms for their nationals.”
He said Nigerians in South Africa had suffered repeated cycles of intimidation, harassment, and xenophobic violence over the years, with businesses destroyed and lives endangered.
According to Atiku, successive Nigerian governments have continued to respond with “bureaucratic inertia” rather than decisive action.
“Yes, the government has now spoken. Yes, repatriation talks have been mentioned. But the critical question remains: why did it take external pressure and the decisive action of others before Nigeria found its voice?” he asked.
The former vice-president argued that the primary responsibility of any government is the protection of its citizens, warning that delayed action sends the wrong message.
“A government that waits until other nations have taken the lead before acting sends a dangerous signal that the lives of its citizens are negotiable,” he said.
He urged the federal government to immediately issue a strong travel advisory, activate evacuation arrangements for Nigerians willing to return home, and intensify diplomatic engagement with South African authorities.
Atiku also called on the African Union to establish a permanent continental framework to tackle xenophobic violence across Africa.
“Africa cannot continue to preach unity while tolerating periodic persecution of fellow Africans,” he said.
He further urged the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to demonstrate greater urgency and competence in handling the crisis.
Meanwhile, more than 130 Nigerians in South Africa have reportedly registered for voluntary repatriation following attacks targeting foreign nationals in the country.